Friday 26 August 2011

“What have they got in there, King Kong?” Jurassic Park returns to UK cinemas to promote the Blu-Ray release...

submit to reddit

Delicious
Bookmark this on Delicious


I still love this film. I remember going to see it and, like most of the movie going world, having my jaw permanently dropped to the cinema floor. I remember little kids being terrified; I remember the woman in the audience who said “As if dinosaurs could open doors”; and us resisting the urge to say “my cat can open the door and it isn’t 6 feet tall with arms dumb ass!” Ahem...



Of course it’s more about the spectacle than the drama, but if that’s going to be the case then this is the level of spectacular that you need. Blending live action puppetry with the CGI and shooting on location is one of the reasons that the film still holds up so well 19 years on. A lesson a few present day film makers could learn. (I’m not a CGI luddite at all but, like any other tool, it has to be used correctly.)



Of course the book is better. A lot better. It’s a whole lot of fun, full of suspense, some social commentary, grizzly deaths (people being eaten alive by raptors) and so many nail biting sequences they were still using parts of the book by the third film.





No comments:

Post a Comment