Wednesday 30 September 2009

Orson Scott Card

What seems like aeons ago I stated that I was going to be writing a fair bit about Ender's game the book, the graphic novel (comic for the fearless) and the criminally delayed movie.

Well I've been very fortunate in that Mr. Card has kindly agreed to answer some questions of mine about Ender, Ultimate Iron Man and many other things hopefully. Definitely NOT what his favourite colour is though.



I know he's one of the best authors around, when it comes to answering fan questions, but as I'm asking both as a fan AND as a contributor to the Sci-Fi channel website I still feel pretty privileged. He's one of my favourite authors, writer of what I consider to be one of the best books around, as well as numerous other quality works. If anyone has a serious question feel free to let me know, although I may be pushing my luck a little with the number of questions I already have.


Thanks for reading and if you haven't yet read Ender's game.... go, buy it, read it, read it again.

4 comments:

  1. Well I read the second or third book, mainly 'cause my hub asked me to. Perhaps the first one is more impressive, hm. I now that S Meyer really like Card and the idea about this boy and his world is interesting but.... I don't like prejudiced people sorry. Even if you don't like other groups on this globe you don't have to go public with it. But I like the books about Alvin despite Cards homophobia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again.
    Well I've still only had a limited experience of his personal life so I may have missed a lot. As far as I'm aware he's not a homophobe, he is simply part of a religion that maintains a belief that homosexuality is a sin.
    Now it's not a belief that I share, but then I also don't belief in a great many of the Catholic Church’s "beliefs" including the notion that homosexuality is a sin, the deification of Mary the misogynistic portrayal of pretty much every woman who isn't Mary, their stance on birth control and the whole Pope thing. That's just for starters by the way. Not everyone who is Catholic or Muslim or another "sect" of Christianity which takes the Old Testament view of Homosexuality as a sin is homophobic any more than every homophobe is religious.

    All I can say is that I've never detected even the merest hint of his religious views (outside of doing the right thing and trying to live a good life). I'm also not aware of anything homophobic that he has said, merely when asked if being Mormon he shared that sect's belief that homosexuality is a sin, he's said yes and explained why.

    If I'm wrong I know you will let me know. For now I just find it one of life's great paradoxes that a person who can write such futuristic and inclusive fiction can also hold what I believe to be archaic and incorrect religious views. He has every right to them though especially if he doesn't persecute homosexuals and I don't think he does. Does he?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do see your point.Suppose it is a touchy subject to me since I have friend who are gay. The bible do have a lot of strange ideas and rules in them. As a christian I suppose I should share them but I don't. I don't resent gays, phycics or feel less important 'cause I'm a woman even if a lot of places in the holy book says so. Yeah, Card might just have answered politely to a journalist but being a christian still doesn't mean that you have to agree wiht everything the little black book say : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again. :)
    I'm glad you can see it from my point of view, as I know these issues can be divisive. I totally agree that you neither should, nor really can take every, single point from the Bible. There has to be room for change and growth.

    I have no room for accepting persecution or belittling anybody for colour, sexuality or anything like that. It's comforting to know that you don't either. :)

    ReplyDelete